Monday, January 15, 2007

Apostolic Prayers and Interns...

Surprisingly, I am not blogging about 2 Corinthians. I actually spent the last solid hour or two of my prayer room time tonight reading up on the historical background of it, and my poor little brain could use a break. I've learned and re-learned a lot of helpful context that will arm me to tackle the rest of the book with the right perspective... tomorrow. Which is technically today, if you're one of those day-schedule types.

However, I do want to write about my fabulous interns and co-core leader, and where we're going in the Word together. I'm assistant core leader to Lacey, who is a great leader (not to mention a good friend--we did FITN track 1 and 2 together). We've got an apartment of 7 ladies who are all awesome. I really like our group.

Every night before the Prayer Room, we have our Burn Team briefings. Basically, we get together in one of the side rooms for fifteen minutes and get focused and geared up to go for another night on the wall.

We're working our way through the Apostolic Prayers in these briefings. It's been good for me to explain to the interns (and remind myself) the value and wisdom of praying these prayers. I get so used to what we say on the microphone night after night, that I forget sometimes how mind-bogglingly awesome these things are.

The past week, we focused on Ephesians 1:17-19, "That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power..."

Do we even realize what we pray on the microphone every night? Seriously, this is amazing stuff. We're asking for the knowledge of God--God, infinite, holy, unsearchable--yet He wants to make Himself known. We're asking to know the "exceeding greatness of His power..." That power, we find out in verse 20, is the same power that raised Jesus from the dead. We're talking some serious power. And that's the power God has towards us. That's the power the prayer is asking to know.

And somehow, I can hear that being prayed over the microphone and still manage to tune out because "I've heard it before." Looks like I could definitely use some of that wisdom and revelation.

I love discussing these passages with people who aren't over-familiar with them. It always reawakens my heart to how cool the Lord truly is and how amazing His Word is.

3 comments:

Emily Meagan said...

Isn't it strange how you get so used to hearing something that you lose sight of the magnitude of what you're actually hearing?

charity said...

Amanda, I am so glad to see you blogging! I love the fact that no matter how many times that we hear these prayers, they are so multi-faceted that they can keep surprising you. I have been praying Eph 1 for two years now, and some days it shocking how well how it fits the situation at hand. It turns out that everyone needs wisdom and revelation!

Amanda said...

Just wanted to congratulate you two for being the official first two comments on the blog. :D

Thanks for your responses, gals.